Product Design Team Lead
We're looking for an experienced Product Design Team Lead to join our team in Raleigh-Durham. As a Design Lead at thoughtbot, you mentor and help grow designers, collaborate with Development and Managing Directors on the success of the studio, and help clients to turn ideas into great products that people love to use and grow successful businesses.
thoughtbot works with companies in every step of the process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them. We use emerging and effective technologies and methods on both internal and client projects. We believe there is always a better way to do our work, and we want to find it and share it with as many people as possible.
Additionally, we maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. thoughtbot does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits. We welcome you to apply and let us know if you need any reasonable accommodations during the interview process.
Want to dig deeper? Read more about our Purpose and Values, how we work in our Playbook, or check out this video to hear from our team.
You provide design leadership and management
- You provide mentorship and support to the Designers in the studio.
- You help Designers continue to grow skills and provide career development support.
- You conduct regular one-on-ones, reviews and group critique.
- You make sure that Designers are challenged and fulfilled in their work and work to retain the people we have on our team.
- You're consistently transparent and highly communicative, both with your team and the rest of the organization.
- You care deeply about the Designers working for them, empathizing with struggles and celebrating accomplishments of your team.
You continue to work on projects as a Designer
- You work on projects as a product designer; executing design strategy and research through to implementation.
- You seek out new techniques and tools to improve our design process at thoughtbot and maintain our high standard of work.
You help with office growth and sustainability
- You work to grow our design reputation in your city, attracting great design projects and great teammates.
- You support the Managing Director (in conjunction with the Development Director) in running the business and success of the studio
- You contribute as needed to inbound opportunities and customer success.
- You aim to grow your design team in a sustainable way
You uphold our company Purpose and Design Team Values
- You demonstrate and uphold our team values both company wide and for the design team. You use these values to form strong opinions about how we design our process and products.
- You pushes yourself and your team to do the best work possible by challenging assumptions and convention.
- You strive for improvement in your own skillsets, the products your work on and the way you work with others.
Our goal is to provide ourselves with the best possible benefits, tools to use, and environments to work in while staying sustainable. We've shared the full details of all our benefits here.
- Investment Time: We consult for clients four days/week. On Fridays, we work to make ourselves, the company, and our community better by learning new tools and techniques, working on open source, blogging, creating new products, volunteering our time, and more.
- Always Learning: We pay 100% of expenses when you speak at conferences and 50% of the cost for attendees. We also pay 50% of all expenses for job-related training.
- Stay Fresh: We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week. We have five weeks (24 days in the UK) of vacation time per year, in addition to company holidays and sick days. For new parents, we also have at least 6 weeks paid leave in all locations, as well as the ability to take at least 6 months off.
- Healthcare + Financial: In the U.S. we provide competitive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, and a comprehensive 401k plan with matching. In the UK we provide supplemental private insurance and a group personal pension scheme.
Want to explore benefits further? We've shared the full details of all our benefits.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.
Does this sound like what you're looking for? Apply below.